Life has changed a lot the last month. The season changed, the time changed, and Kenna is growing up right before our eyes.
We celebrated our 6 th wedding anniversary by going out for the first time since Kenna was born! It was the first time both of us had left her and been together when we were gone. We had a nice dinner and conversation! We realized that the last time we were alone together was on the way to the hospital! That was an interesting ride ;)
Kenna is doing so many things now. She laughs a lot and seems to be laughing at something we did. She likes to pat us, pat the table, pat her leg, etc. She only wants to sit or stand. If I lay her down on her back to change her, she holds her head and shoulders up, hoovering over the table! She loves to stand up on her feet. She is also rolling all on her own now from front to back.
It's very humbling and surreal to know everything I do is teaching her something. How I move, talk, listen, laugh, and play tells her about the world. Can she trust? Does she feel safe? Does she hear words that are kind and tone that is gentle? It's such a huge responsibility to ensure that she has the best living and learning environment. We want our home to be a place of love and refuge for her!
K had her first Halloween and your first question is going to be, what was she? I bought a bumble bee costume from a mom to mom sale during the summer which was marked 0-9. I thought, perfect! She will be 4 months, so it should be fine. Not so much. The costume was ginormous on her. Not to mention, she was fussing all day from teething. I decided to keep her in an adorable pumpkin first Halloween outfit from grandma all night so I would not smite the bear inside of Kenna! Boy was she cranky! When all the trick or treaters came to our door, she was having much more fun! The first group of scraggly middle school boys rang our bell and I excitedly told them it was my daughters' first Halloween like any first time parent would. They were so sweet doting over her, ooohing and awwwing. It was quite cute!
Kenna had a visit with Johnny, Jonelle and Lillian, one with Logan, one with Charlie and another with Clara and Eloise. We also played with Jay, Gibson, and Tinley. The past week, she has had a cold and we had to cancel plans with Isabelle and George! So sad :( I love when she gets to play with other kids! Since she isn't in daycare, we don't get many chances to do that!
I'm trying to quit the mom to mom sales.... I'm truly addicted to getting a bargain! My house is already full of toys that she can't even use til months from now! So I finally decided to stop going, but it's really a fun hobby for me! There's always next summer :)
Kenna is so sweet. She melts our hearts when she smiles at us, reaches out to be held, pats us when we hold her, snuggles her head into our chest, or even belly laughs. Not only is she sweet, but she loves to play!
Kenna loves her bath time! She will hold herself up with her right leg stiff as a board against her infant tub. Then, she splashes everywhere with her left leg and right arm!
Sleep has been a challenge this month. We have still been swaddling her waiting til she gets better head control. Once she has better head control, we will try sleeping on her tummy so she can't flail and wake herself up. For now, she is still in her swaddle.
We've stopped using a noise maker and started darkening her room at nap time, but she instantly wakes when we set her down! Oh boy- what can we do? She doesn't take a paci at all. I guess trial and error and time will tell how to navigate through the sleepless days! For now, we hold her.... Again, oh boy.
K loves to be outside and we take advantage of the warmer weather by going for walks. Those Indian summer days were lovely, but now it's too cold to take her for a walk. That is how she used to fall asleep for her afternoon nap.
Teething is Kenna's middle name right now. I know it's a very long process, but it's effecting her so much I want it to be over with!
Recently, k has been sticking her tongue out, reaching for toys with both hands and eating everything! It's so cool to watch her change through the stages she has already gone through.
Yesterday, I found Kenna kicking her feet on the beat of the song. Lots of parents would say, aww how cute! Not only cute, but smart! She is hearing the meter and responding through movement! I was SO excited! Music is in her bones :)
I am learning a lot about life through being a parent. The thing that has been glaring me in the face is that I'm rather selfish. It is so hard to let what you want take a back seat to what needs to be done. Example: when I hear Kenna stirring in the other room I know I have to get out of my warm bed and feed her in the cold til she falls asleep again. I do not want to do that 5 times a night. I want to stay in my warm bed and fall deep into the rem cycle so that when I wake up I feel rested. I usually wake up with an agenda of what I want to do that day. I used to love being efficient and getting multiple things done at the same time. I would run several errands back to back, get together with a friend, and hit the gym all before heading home. Now, I have to pick what is vital to survival and do that one thing when I go out. I really want to spend hours shopping and not feel rushed. It's just not my reality anymore. It doesn't matter if I haven't eaten since breakfast and I'm starving. If Kenna is crying then I am feeding her no matter how hungry or tired I am. It's a huge adjustment. I am used to being so selfish and being able to do whatever I want with MY time. Now my time is her time- even when she is sleeping. If I want her to nap, then I have to hold her. When she goes down for the night, I usually have 2 choices: sit on the couch and watch tv, letting my house become a perpetual mess or run around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to maintain so the rest of the week doesn't become a disaster. Neither are very fun, but all this to say, I am learning not to make selfish choices all the time. Something I know I will be doing the rest of my life, so I will get plenty of practice! :)



















No comments:
Post a Comment