This is my last weekend of "summer lovin'" with Kenna before its back to teaching Monday! I am so excited for the school year teaching private voice and piano, early childhood music and movement, and elementary music at the local Montessori.
But....
Boy am I glad I started doing child care trial runs when I did!
My parents and Aaron's patents both live less than 15 minutes away and have graciously agreed to watch Kenna while I am teaching one afternoon a week. For the other 2 afternoons I am working, we have hired a nanny to be with her while I teach out of the home.
It really has taken me 3 weeks to be emotionally ready to go back to work, so I am glad I started doing trial runs 3 weeks ago. I went through every emotion possible.
"My daughter will be mad at me for leaving her"- guilt
"she will prefer the nanny over me"- insecurity
"our bond will break"- fear
"I can't juggle all of this. The house, work, my daughter, me."- overwhelmed
"she won't be able to communicate her needs and will get easily frustrated if she's uncomfortable"- worry wort
There are so many other things flying through my mind about going back to work, but I finally, like 2 days ago, realized it is going to be ok!
I am so lucky to be able to spend every morning and evening with Kenna and only have to be away for a few hours 4 afternoons a week! She is learning to be adaptable, social, and to connect with her grandparents- something many of us are not lucky enough to do in our lives!
A dear friend of mine reminded me that I am setting a good example for my daughter by showing her that I love my career. I want Kenna to grow up to be savy, independent, creative, and well rounded. My parents did an excellent job teaching me these qualities and I want to do the same for her. I want her to believe she can do whatever she wants in life, which is true!
Lastly, I have to thank my amazing husband ( sounds like I am making an acceptance speech.... Where's the Grammy?!). But seriously, Aaron has been so supportive of me since I decided to go back to school in 2007! He has never doubted me and always given me the strength to keep plugging.
I am so blessed to have such a wonderful job that I adore in this day in age when work is hard to come by. I am so blessed for family in the area who want to spend time with their grand daughter. I am so blessed that when I work at home, I can take a break between lessons to nurse my daughter and give her comfort.
I am not anxious anymore, but welcome this new transition for our family. Let the music making, good napping, and learning for all involved begin!
(don't know how to add captions, but here is Kenna visiting my classroom and with her grand patents!)




No comments:
Post a Comment